- Of Counsel
Bill joined Ziegler Metzger in 1967 upon graduation from Case Western Reserve University Law School. The firm's culture, which values an entrepreneurial spirit and long-term relationships with both clients and employees, has been a critical element that has greatly contributed to Bill's enjoyment of the practice of law. The principal focus of his practice is estate planning for high net worth clients, including business owners, physicians and senior executives at national and international publicly traded companies. His clients reside throughout the United States with a particularly heavy concentration in Florida.
Since 1985, Bill has concentrated a portion of his practice on international estate planning, assisting non-U.S. citizens who reside in the United States as well as U.S. citizens who own real estate located in other countries. Clients with these needs include physicians who come to Cleveland to practice at The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals as well as senior executives of companies with international operations.
Another very important niche in Bill's estate planning practice is his representation of professional athletes from around the world. His clients span a broad array of activities, including golf, tennis, football, baseball, basketball and hockey, among others. Coaches, professional models and musicians are also represented.
His professional affiliations include the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law Section), the Ohio State Bar Association (Probate and Trust Section), the American Bar Association (Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section) and the Estate Planning Council of Cleveland.
Bill grew up in the small town of Port Clinton, Ohio, on the shores of Lake Erie. He attended Denison University receiving a B.A. in Political Science in 1964. He married his high school sweetheart, Diane, in 1964, and they raised three sons during the 30 years that they resided in Shaker Heights, Ohio. Bill currently resides in Highland Heights and looks out on the 8th green of Stonewater Golf Club where he is a member.
A condo on Grand Cayman Island at Rum Point has provided the entire Spring family with many enjoyable times since 1996. It has also been their pleasure to share this bit of paradise with many friends and guests. Visit http://www.mangokai.com/ for more information.
Bill's volunteer activities have included the American Cancer Society, the American Red Cross, Judson Retirement Community and his church. He is currently active in the Cleveland Sight Center, the Council for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Kiwanis Club of Cleveland. He has a love of history that evolved from a stamp collection of American commemoratives begun by his father. This finds current expression in his work on the Spring family genealogy, which traces the family back to Ipswich, England in 1634. Of particular interest to Bill are the several decades that his paternal grandfather spent as a missionary in Burma beginning in 1906.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Domestic and International
- Probate Law
- Family Business Owners
- Tax Planning
- Ohio, 1967
- U.S. Tax Court, 1969
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. - 1967
- Denison University, Granville, Ohio
- B.A. - 1964
- Major: Political Science
- Western Reserve Historical Society
- Cleveland Steel Specialty, Inc.
- Ralston Instruments, Inc.
- KeyBank, Brian Cherkala
- PNC Bank, Richard Mack
- Fifth Third Bank, Frank Rizzo
- Walthall, CPAs, Tom Scharf
- Speaker, "Financial Counseling for the Executive", Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Financial Executives Institute
- Speaker, "Estate Planning" for Phillips Fellowship of the First Baptist Church of Greater Cleveland
- Speaker, "Gifting to Save Federal Estate Taxes" and "Wills and Trusts", Schantz, Howald & Associates, Financial Planners
- Speaker, "Joint Ownership in Ohio - What's the Beef?", Cleveland Bar Association, Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Participant, Personal Financial Planning Technical Session, Cleveland Treasurer's Club
- Speaker, "Estate Planning and Joint and Survivorship Property", Cleveland Society of Estate Analysts
- Speaker, "Estate Planning", Fiscal Fitness Program, Women Faculty of the School of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University
Honors And Awards
- George F. Hixson Fellow
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association, Probate & Trust Section, Member, 1968
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law Section, Member, 1968
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President, Kiwanis Club of Cleveland
- Past Lt. Governor, Kiwanis International
- Cleveland Sight Center, Trustee and Volunteer, 1992 - Present
- Board Chair, 2013-2015
- Phi Alpha Delta