Joe joined Ziegler Metzger in 1992. He is a partner and chairman of the firm's Probate and Estate Planning Group. His practice is focused on estate planning, estate and trust administration and general corporate/business law.
His clients include high net worth individuals and families, young professionals and entrepreneurs, business owners and physicians, dentists and other medical professionals. This representation has led to many long-standing relationships consistent with the firm's culture of providing "Counsel of Good Value".
Joe's experience in estate planning, probate and estate/trust disputes enables him to bring creative ideas to the table to help heirs, beneficiaries, trustees and executors in estate and trust litigation matters. In conflict situations involving will contests, trustee removal and abuse of elderly due to undue influence, incompetency or fraud, Joe works closely with the firm's litigation team in achieving our client's goals.
Another important part of his practice is representation of business owners in the variety of legal issues that arise in the course of the operation of their business. Such matters include general contract review, resolution of shareholder disputes, buy-sell agreements, the starting, sale or acquisition of a business and business succession planning.
Joe obtained his Juris Doctorate from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 1980. He also graduated from the Cleveland State University Graduate School of Business attaining his Masters of Business Administration degree. He earned his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from the Cleveland State University.
Joe is a member of the Ohio, Cleveland and Lake County Bar Associations and Estate Planning Council of Cleveland. He is also a member and Past Chairman of the American Cancer Society Planning Giving Committee (Lake/Geauga/Ashtabula County Units), member of the Catholic Lawyers Guild (Speaker's Bureau) and a former member and past Chairman of the Mentor Municipal Planning Commission.
He also served on the Promoting Philanthropy Committee of the Cleveland Foundation. Joe is a well-received speaker on estate planning and charitable gifting issues at numerous Continuing Legal Education seminars and presentations for charitable organizations. He takes great pleasure in assisting clients in achieving their charitable goals.
Joe lives in Mentor, Ohio with his wife, Debbie, and has three sons, Matt, Brian and Greg. Brian is also an attorney at the firm. Joe is a sports enthusiast and also enjoys running, playing golf, travelling and spending time with family and friends.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Business Succession Planning
- Probate and Trust Litigation
- General Business/Corporate
- Ohio, 1980
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. - 1980
- Cleveland State University Graduate School of Business, Cleveland, Ohio
- Master of Business Administration - 1980
- Major: Business Administration
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Bachelor of Business Administration - 1977
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Marketing
- The Durable Power of Attorney - Its Use and Abuse, Lake County Bar Association, Lake Legal View
- The Durable Power of Attorney - An Essential Planning Tool, Crain's Cleveland Business, November 2, 1998
- The Value of Estate Planning, American Cancer Society
- Ohio Estate Planning - Revocable Living Trust, Lohrman Education Services - Ohio CLE
- Presenting Family Wealth, American Cancer Society
- Estate and Tax Planning: Qualified Retirement Plans and IRAs, National Business Institute, 2008 to 2008
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
- Lake County Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Bank One (now J.P. Morgan Chase) Trust Department, Vice President, Personal, 1986 to 1993
Pro Bono Activities
- American Cancer Society
- Catholic Lawyers Guild