Read Our Articles
At Ziegler Metzger, we have been serving clients in Greater Cleveland and throughout Ohio since 1952. Read the articles below to learn more about the legal issue you are facing:
- The Uniform Directed Trust Act Should Cover A Trust Director’s Power To Remove The Trustee: In 2017, the Uniform Law Commission approved and recommended enactment of the Uniform Directed Trust Act (UDTA). The UDTA uses the term “trust director” to refer to any person, other than the trustee, with power over some aspect of the trust’s administration (encompassing other commonly-used terms such as “trust protector” and “trust adviser”).
- Recent Changes to Ohio’s Conceal Carry Statute Restrict Employer Policies Regarding the Storage of a Firearm in a Locked Vehicle: A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both conditions are met.
- Protecting Your Business under the Defend Trade Secrets Act: The Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 (“DTSA”) creates a private, federal civil remedy for trade secret misappropriation, thus adding an additional layer of protection for employers.
- Protecting Digital Assets: You may be surprised to learn that many of your online accounts and other online “stuff” might not be accessible by your family after you have died. Early in the estate planning process, it is wise to take stock of your digital assets and make sure there will be no surprises for your family.
- Is a Revocable (Living) Trust Right for You?: There are many complex issues regarding revocable trusts, including tax matters and administration of a trust. Learn whether this type of trust would suit your needs.
- § 543 Turnover Requirements Amid the Receivership Renaissance: As receiverships become a more common collections action due to the struggling economy in recent years, it is more important than ever to understand the turnover requirement and its impact on corporate and private collections.
- Know About Taxes When Using Business Life Insurance: Read these frequently asked questions to gain a better understanding of the complexities involved with business life insurance and related matters.
- Know Legal Steps to Take After Someone Dies: After the death of a loved one, it is important to know who is involved in the decision-making process, how the administrative aspects of probate move forward and what legal steps you need to take.
- Life Insurance Figures in Business Succession Planning: It is critical to understand your rights, your options and the terms involved with business succession planning.
- Make Your Succession Plan a Plan to Succeed: Not all business succession plans work as intended. Learn how to make a succession plan that will work for you and your business.
- Estate Planning Considerations in Light of Changes in Federal and Ohio Tax Law: The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (ATRA) provides answers to previously unanswered questions and guidance for estate planners throughout the country. Learn more.
- Firearms and Firearm Trusts: If you are considering passing on firearms as part of your estate plan, it is important to consider the federal, state and local laws and ordinances regulating the transfer of firearms.